Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Christian Memories

My mom is technically Roman Catholic while my dad is technically Jewish. I say technically because although both were raised as such a little bit, neither one attended church/temple or followed the laws in the Bible.

However they had enough background that I was raised learning of both religions and then later on in life, only the Jewish culture as we celebrated Hanukkah, Rosh Hashanah and Passover every year. Christmas and Easter were always secular though. As such as I got older, I showed and interest in Judaism and took it upon myself to learn more while my Christian side sank deep down in my memories... until now.

I remember:
  • Saying the Lord's prayer
  • Singing Christian songs such as Michael Row the Boat Ashore, He's Got the Whole World In His Hands and Kumbaya as well as many others.
  • Saying the "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep" child's prayer before bed many times
  • Putting out a nativity scene for Christmas every year until it broke. 
I have also learned other songs as a Girl Guide leader before we became more multicultural that I now know and a much younger friend taught me the Jesus Loves Me kid song as a teenager.

What would have happened if I had more of my mom's family around or had been taught more of Christianity? I certainly needed it many times throughout my life. How much better I might have handled problems through my childhood, teenager and young adult years if I had embraced Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts as long as they are polite. I'd like to know someone was here!